Saturday, September 8, 2012

Work Bench

One of my first projects, primarily out of necessity, was to build a work bench. This was so easy and I use it constantly. It is built from Ana White's plans. I modified it slightly to be deeper, and since I was in a hurry, I just went with a cheap plywood top that I had. LOVE the extra shelf on the bottom; it's always packed with "stuff".


As much as I tried to make it level, there aren't many level surfaces in my house and there was no way the basement floor that the bench would be on was going to be level. So I didn't worry over it too much and had to shim up one corner a touch when I put it in place. Honestly, I think I would have had to regardless with that horrendous floor!


Notes after the fact: I've been using this bench for a while now, and would make a few changes (and likely will in the future). Firstly, I think the table top needs to be much thicker. I used 1/2" plywood, and while it's functional for the miter saw, the edges are starting to curve a bit, so using it for assembly is problematic. I also would make this bench double the length. I think I will do this soon anyway, and I doubt it will look very different as it needs a center support anyway. I just find the current length to be cramped.

No comments:

Post a Comment